Skip to main content

Be protective - But have limits

Sometime back one of my friends mentioned that she had an encounter with an overprotective mum. Apparently when she had asked to carry the baby the mother out of reluctance had given her the baby to keep on her lap and had said to her “Hold him tight and don’t drop him ok….Otherwise I will kill you”. My firend had apparently not retaliated to what was said as she knew that the mother of the child didn’t mean it per say, as they were like sisters. Nevertheless, it had been a very awkward moment because she was shell shocked and hurt by the statement and had to put on a plastic smile to hide her real feelings.

There was no doubt that these words that she blabbered unconsciously came from her overly protective motherly instincts and also probably because this was her first born; but I don’t think that, that simply justifies this situation. We live in a wicked world and we have to be very protective of our children as you can never tell what will happen. But at the same time I think that there should be a limit to being protective. I have seen parents simply molly coddle their children until they are quite old. This only turns their children into sissies who are unable to face the challenges that the world throws at them.

What sort of a parent are you? And what are your thought on this subject?

Comments

Indyana said…
i can't say the same about myself...but this mum seems a bit hyper protective. but, maybe it was a slip of the tongue due to parental anxiety!
hmmm probably.... Whew! i wonder what makes them soo....hyper protective?

BTW Indyana, nice to see you back in the world of blogging. I think you had made your blog private for sometime coz once when i tried to view your posts i was barred from viewing it. I really thought that you had closed shop in the blogging world. Welcome back...

I too have not been the blog limelight for quite sometime coz i was buried in loads of work day in and day out. I too am happy to be back :)
Anonymous said…
I don’t know the mood in which the mother uttered those words but either way I have an aversion of anyone who uses the phrase “I’ll kill you”


I don’t know what sort of mother I am so I asked the children and the answers below are straight from the horses mouths : )

Daughter:
-Unconventional
-One who demands too many cups of tea :)
(The second one is because…… I enjoy a cuppa made by someone other than me, so I always ask her to make me one at night, before bed)

Son:
A good one
Join the club Mia, I too have a dislike towards people who use this phrase or similar. Coz , for one it sounds sooo domineering

Hmmmm….I sure was giggling to myself reading your daughters comments on what sort of a mum you are….

From what I have gathered from what you have said in your posts before and this, I would your label you as a great mum………I hope that one day when I get married and God willingly have kids that I too will be a great mum like you…..
Anonymous said…
Aww...........thanks for the compliment.
All I can say is, I try my best by treating and respecting them as individuals.
santhoshi said…
One of my cousins who had a baby recently will not let anyone carry the baby. Everyone in the family keep on complaining about this. I think sometimes when u are first time mom you tend to be worried and treat babies like very fragile. One of my friends when She had her baby had the nerve to tell me to wash my hands with dettol before carrying the baby. Usually when i go to see new borns i never carry them even if forced upon :)
oh my gosh santhosi thats news i havent heard of such extremes but then again i bet you get them in all shapes and sizes :)
Hmmm.... that actually sounds a good policy to adopt when visiting newly borns. It will be hard for me coz i simply love kids [the ones who arent crybabies :) ] coz they are soo cute and am drawn to them like a magnet....but i must try keep my distance :)