Skip to main content

The Cradle to the Grave - A sure path for us all..

Just as a flower blooms and slowly withers away, all of us who are born into this world are compelled to traverse through the same phases in life. Nevertheless, most of us who are able bodied tend to forget the realities of old age oblivious to the fact that all of us one day will befall the same fate.

I guess the grumbling and childlike behaviour of old people tend to make our patience run on a very small tether?? Nevertheless I think that all of us should stop to ponder on what the elderly are really going through. But trust me sometimes its mind boggling for us to comprehend what they are really going through…coz to us it sometimes seems as though they are pretending. This is probably because we are in denial or because we haven’t placed ourselves in their shoes.

In my view being dependent on others due to being unable to do things for yourself is probably the most awful thing in life, because being in such a state hits the core of our self-esteem and in most instances sends the person into a state of depression. What do you think??

However, even though it’s hard we all should try our level best to stretch our patience and try hard to be more accommodative, because one day life will dish us out with the same spoon.

I know it is easier said than done…. But all we can do is try….

What do you think about this??
Have you had any real life experience having to cope with an aged person??? What’s it like??

Comments

Anonymous said…
Coping with them is not the issue. Living with the fact that at one point you're going to have to let them go eventually catches up.
Anonymous, (I wish you left a pen name)
Yep very true. Sometimes I too am haunted with the same thing and it really gets me down emotionally. But then again I console myself with the fact that I have to make the most of the precious time that they are here on earth with me rather than sulk about the inevitable, which is out of our control.
Mahisha said…
"In my view being dependent on others due to being unable to do things for yourself is probably the most awful thing in life, Totally agree. However, most old people can still do things for themselves and I believe in letting them do what they want to do rather than hit them with negativity saying can't etc...

Have you had any real life experience having to cope with an aged person??? What’s it like??
Yes and no - i ran away from it.

My grandmother was sick, and she also started to loose her sanity. She angel eyes, was one very strong, independent, intelligent (uhm, not paper qualifications)person, who until very late cooked us tasty dinner too. I did not want to see her like that. So when my mother's bro took her into their house i stopped visiting her. Saw her only after she died.
I took the easy way out....
Mahisha, true I too believe in letting them do what they want to do to a certain extent as sometimes things might end up to take a bad turn if they don’t watch there limit. (i.e. too much smoking, or eating too much of sweets when they are a diabetic)

Now that really sounds like you have ran away from it. I can imagine what it was like and I can imagine why you did not want to see your grandma like that, but then again running away from life and reality is not the best thing in life coz I guess we have to stop to think of the million dollar question “What if that happened to me?”
Mahisha said…
Hm... True - yes i did run away from it, and not proud of it... I took the easy way out....

Yes it will happen to me too, i will grow old. Anyways, i am one of 'those' who do not want to have children (thus, grandchildren too...) and quite likely, will look after myself very well until the end :)
Anonymous said…
Wow, this is so true. Realy admire the thoughts.
“ Anyways, i am one of 'those' who do not want to have children (thus, grandchildren too...) and quite likely, will look after myself very well until the end “

Gee, Mahisha now that sounds a very lonely way to look at life. I hope that you are not one of those people who will rule out marriage as well. Anyway I guess that everyone is different and that you obviously have your reasons.


----------------

Thanks Byorn. Do you have a blog?? If yes and if you dont mind could you please share the URL address with me so that i can visit it.
Mahisha said…
Oh no... i will hopefully marry! (or live together...) but children is a different matter :)

Marriage: in the eyes of the law
a legal arrangement where you and your spouse willingly bring in the State to your affairs

Marriage: In the eyes of religion
Where you bring other religious leaders in to your Marriage

Marriage: me :)
Something else...but definitely not the above two! plsssss....
will let you know when i find out.... heh hee heh
Gee, Mahisha…...Errr… so in that light I guess that in your eyes living together is the only other option for you as people who have one night stands can not be categorised as being in a real relationship.
Anyways I hope you find out what you want in life when the time is right....:)
Mahisha said…
:) nah... will probably have to do the legal marry thing... there is what one wants to do, and there is what one have to do....
its just that i am not comfortable with the state and religion coming into something special between two people...